Thursday, May 17, 2012

Breakfast Foods


Breakfast Foods: 

Van's Gluten-Free Waffles, Blueberry


Tastes just like Kellogg's Nutrigrain waffles only these are even more moist inside than those, and they toast up nice and crispy on the outside. The little bits of berries inside are a treat! The photo I have pictured here is the only berry one I could find, but the variety I had was labeled "Buckwheat - Berry", not Blueberry. I slathered these with 1 Tbl. unsalted butter and drizzled on a little bit of pure maple syrup. Then I had a big glass of milk and I was off on my way out the door to work. I was not really hungry again until lunch time, but I did snack on a few Gluten-Free veggie chips that I bought at a regular local grocery store last week, not even knowing they were gluten-free. When I get the brand name I'll post it here under SNACK FOODS.  

Click here to go to the Van's Foods web site


Glutino Genius Multi-Grain Sandwich Bread


This bread is sold in the freezer section of your local health food type store, such as Henry's, Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I found mine at Henry's, because we don't have a Whole Foods market within 90 miles of my house and Trader Joe's is farther away for me than my local Henry's. Anyway, I heard raves and raves about this bread so I just had to try it. I have tried other breads such as Rudi's rice bread (AWFUL!) and other brands. Nothing compares to this Glutino bread! The taste is FANTASTIC and the texture is VERY GOOD. You can't expect when you eat a gluten-free bread that it is going to taste like a whole grain wheat bread or have the doughy ooey-gooey texture of normal bread. But you can bet that if you try this bread and toast it up, smear on a little bit of butter and serve it with your dinner, you will be very pleased with it. If I had to say one thing that I noticed about all gluten-free breads, it is that they are a little bit more "dry" than normal bread, and that they tend to be not as "soft" as normal bread. But of all the ones out there, the majority of people like this one brand the best and I can see why. Glutino also makes a "white bread" version of this product, but I found the multi-grain one to taste like whole grain white bread to me. So if you are worried you would buy this bread and it ends up tasting like hay from the barn, NO, it won't. It is better toasted than eaten in a sandwich, I'll say that - but it would also be good to soak and make excellent french toast with!




No comments:

Post a Comment